Why Paying it Forward Reaps Many Rewards on Social Media
Does not it feel wonderful and causes you to smile when you’re acknowledged for an accomplishment? When someone is really kind to you without any intention of reciprocation? I recently discovered how wonderful that feeling is.
When eVision Media won an Abbotsford Chamber of Commerce Business Excellence award at the end of November, my Facebook feed was inundated with hundreds of likes, congratulations and well wishes. It truly was overwhelming to be the receiver of such incredible heart-felt wishes!
Being on the receiving end of such attention is not only flattering but also have me deeply touched that so many people thought kindly of my team and I. So much so that it has me ponder my own actions, or inactions as the case may be, on social media. Why Paying it Forward Reaps Many Rewards on Social Media
How many times did I scroll past someone sharing their good news … too busy to pause long enough to congratulate them?
How many times did I just hit the “like” button and move on after someone posted a huge victory of their own?
Too many times.
So many that I have a decision on Social Media too. Now I make a conscious effort to pause a little message of kindness on my social media channels. Whether it’s a quick “Congratulations!” Or a response to a question I’ve received over the years. Will you join me?
Here’s 6 Ways You Can Pay It Forward on Social Media
1. When you see someone sharing good news, do not just hit the “Like” button, go that extra mile and leave a comment about how happy you are for them. It’s ok that you do not know this person personally, it’s social media where your connection is all that’s needed to pay a little kindness forward.
This simple gesture can make a big difference in the other person’s life. You have no idea what you are going through and your message of kindness could make their day. Why Paying it Forward Reaps Many Rewards on Social Media
2. When someone retweets or shares your content to their followers, send them a message of thanks.
Your acknowledgment will go a long way in their eyes, and they will remember how kind you are to them and will encourage them to continue their acts of sharing kindness. 3. Retweet and share great content of others and be sure to give them credit for posting such great stuff.
This kind of acknowledgment could be all that’s needed to give them the confidence they need to keep creating good stuff.
4. Participate in contests that you really wish to be a part of. A lot of thought and planning goes into setting up a contest so show your appreciation for the opportunity to win something and submit your entry.
Imagine if you are holding a contest and how much excitement you will feel when you see so many people participating. Share that gift of excitement to others.
5. Tell someone you appreciate them. It does not have to have any strings attached … just let them know how much you admire them and appreciate being connected with them on Social Media and why.
Would not it be great to receive such an unprovoked message? You can make someone else feel great too – how cool is that!
6. When you see someone is struggling or has asked a question you can answer, help.
Sharing your expertise with others is a wonderful way to pay it forward and help someone else out at the same time.
By making a conscious effort in performing these acts of kindness on social media, you will not only help make the world a better place (after all, does not the world need more kindness in it?) But you will also see a positive shift both personally and professionally in your own life.
There are plenty of other ways you can pay it and share kindness with others on social media. Help me grow this list by posting in the comments section below your own ideas. And do not forget to implement them!